Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jambo!

Achieving Success Daily
Just in case you didn't know, the reason this page is called "Achieving Success Daily" is because my school calls my class the ASD class. We are the ASD room. I am the ASD teacher. It stands for AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER. I'd rather make it stand for something more fun, so I did! And we will ACHIEVE SUCCESS DAILY!


So, I got into the classroom today. I am so excited to get things set up! I'm about 65% set organized. There is a place for everything. Tonight, I will make labels for the cabinets. The labels are for the kids and for me!

I'm trying really hard to stay "age-appropriate" - that's tough for my group at the middle school level! I think my calendar is still "cool" so I have that hung up. We also have a "morning focus" area (we have a full period devoted to this, so I felt like I had to represent!) So far, there is only a USA map and two sight words posted. There will be more. This will be current events, calendar skills, pledge of allegiance, review our daily schedule, geography skills, sight words of the day, classroom news, all about me books, etc. I will somehow make it last 44 minutes.


People always ask why I put the kids' desks around the perimeter of the room (against walls, in little corners) instead of in the middle. The reason is, kids with autism can feel "lost in space" when they're not against a wall or room divider. It also (to me) makes the room look bigger and more open. These are two individual work areas for my kids. The room is still fairly bare, but that will not be for long. I will set up their TEACCH work stations close by.


I will probably use the cupboards on either side of this desk to store independent activities for the kids work systems. I could probably fit 4 on either side.


This is a multicultural bulletin board that I designed. I was having a hard time coming up with a "theme" that would be "cool" for middle schoolers but still fun for my kids to look at. I think this will be neat! Especially considering the five students in my class come from five different countries! Cool. There are little cards that say HELLO in different languages, with a picture of a kid from that country. It's fun. Jambo!


This is a really great (huge) supply closet that I am using to store independent work box tasks and our science activity tubs. They are these fun hands-on science kits for various topics. They fit perfectly on the shelves! Unbelievable. The science tubs are too high for the kids to reach (lovely!) and the independent tasks are just their height. They will be able to easily match their schedule piece to the task and bring it to their desk.


Tomorrow will be the big day. This will be the day that I get mostly everything put away, labeled, etc. I'll post more pics of the full room tomorrow.

The parents come on Monday. This is why I wanted everything lookin' fly before the weekend. (It's a "Meet and Greet." I hope they come!)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah,

    I just landed on your site doing a search for examples of "Work Systems" as I am trying to set up my room with more structure. I teach students with Multiple Disabilities and this is my first year in this assignment. I am reading through your blog backwards and I am really inspired and impressed. I will continue to read through but I do have some problems I am looking for solutions to in setting up my work stations, also in creating activities for students who operate a switch, but are otherwise not participating meaningfully in class activities. Is there any way I could contact you via email? If you would be willing to contact me I would be very grateful.

    Thank you,
    Tim timaverre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete