Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I like your long, black hair.

In "Social Skills Group" on Friday, the kids were working on giving compliments. We discussed picking things that you like about someone, and telling them! We practiced saying things like, "I love your shoes today!" and "Your hair looks great!" etc. One of the examples we used was, "I like your hair" and we told them that they could use adjectives, such as "I like your long, black hair" or "I like your curly hair." There is always an issue with "generalization" when you're working with kids with autism. They have a tough time actually coming up with these compliments on their own, and instead, they memorize. Either way, the "Compliment Game" was a big hit. Soon enough, we were complimenting everyone who came into the room!

At the end of the day, the kids were getting onto their buses and one of my little guys walked right on the bus and said, "I love your long, black hair!" to the bus driver.

The bus drivers hair is red.

Almost got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment