Thursday, September 24, 2009

"Stand Up."

At my school, we have a "word of the week." Each teacher is required to post this "character education" word in the classroom and talk about it daily. We get a handout of what to say about the word each afternoon. Even though the words are sometime hard, I usually use this as an opportunity to discuss social skills and allow the kids to repeat and say new words.

This week, the word is "kindness." Today's handout about the word talked about kindness meaning to help others when they are in need. I stood at the front of the room and I wrote on the board, "Ways That We Can Help Others." I underlined it. One kid raised his hand and said, "Help." Well, almost there, but not quite. I said, "Yes, how can you help others?" My assistant raised her hand and gave an example to see if that would jump start them. Still nothing. I always try to throw in some role-play so the kids can see it in action, especially when we are working on social skills. This was a perfect opportunity.

I moved from the whiteboard to one of the open areas behind our group table. The kids moved their chairs around so they could see me. I said, "What would you do if THIS happened?" (As I said it, I completed a very dramatic 'trip' onto the floor and landed sprawled out on the ground). The kids just stared at me. My assistant looked at all of them and said, "Guys? What would you say if that happened to your teacher!?"

One boy raised his hand. My assistant called on him. He stood up, walked over, pointed at me on the floor and said, "Stand up!"

One thing I love about these kids is that they are so pure, so real. They have no filter. Of course you would tell your crazy teacher who just did a fake fall onto the middle of the classroom to stand up. I love it.

Here's to helping others.... we'll add that to our learning to-do list.

1 comment: