Friday, May 21, 2010

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude.”

Well, I am very frustrated to say the least. I keep thinking we've made incredible progress with the attitudes of staff members at my school, but then I find things out that prove that is not the case.
 
Apparently, it was a "championship game" of volleyball in middle school gym class. It was "very important." (Correct me if I am wrong, but I never took middle school gym class THAT seriously!?) It was my student's turn to serve the ball. The kids tried to skip him, but my aide said, "Guys - it's __'s turn." He served and lost the point for the team, the other team won, and now it's a huge uproar among all of the gym teachers.
 
I respect all teachers. I know that all subjects are important. However, I highly doubt that the score of a middle school gym class volleyball champion game is going to make any life changing differences. The gym teachers think that our kids "don't belong" and need a "special school" and "keep ruining it for the other kids." Really?
 
What century is this? They obviously do not have any connection to any child with a disability (nephew, grandchild, son/daughter, neighbor, church friend) and it shows by their complete disrespect and negative attitudes towards my kids. It is so frustrating. Is middle school gym really so important that my kids should be skipped when it is their turn to serve? Personally, I don't think so.
 
One of the objectives for the lunch crew program is: To prepare students for an adult life in an inclusive society.
 
The kids are doing a great job! It just doesn't seem like the adults are really contributing towards our inclusive society.
 
I can't teach an old dog new tricks. I have tried to "gain trust" and "build support" for our program by delivering candies on holidays (with baggies made by the kids and beautiful holiday cards - St. Patrick's Day, Winter Holidays, Valentine's Day, etc.) We bring brownies and cookies that we make to all of the secretaries and electives teachers. We wave and smile to everyone we meet.
 
The good thing is that none of my kids have a clue that nobody wants them here. They just get off the bus each morning with huge smiles on their faces. They're excited to see their teachers and friends and they love ___ school. I'm really at a loss for what to do to show these teachers that it is 2010 and there are kids with ALL different kinds of ability levels. They've just been teaching for so many years with these kids in out-of-district placements, and now that they're here, they don't want them here.
 
I think to myself, maybe I could find some training for them. Then I think, maybe I could run a training. But, I realize, that it doesn't seem like they're changing their minds. It's just very sad for me. I guess it's hard, as the soon-to-be pastor's wife, to understand how any human could treat another human in that way, regardless of their differences.
 
We'll continue to achieve success daily... and fight the good fight. It's just going to be a long, long battle.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    As a brand new Spec Ed Director I want to rename the "program" that my students on the spectrum participate in. Presently they are called the ABA kids. Looking at A.S.D. I came up with Achieve Success Daily...I promptly did a google search and hit your blog.

    Hang in there - the pieces of the puzzle you are putting in place have and will reap great success for your students.

    J

    ReplyDelete