Friday, December 4, 2009

Bus Update

I've had a few inquiries as to how the regular ed bus is going for my little guy. Let's just say that he blew everyone away. I knew he could do it. This is why I worked hard to get him on the regular bus! The first few days, they sent someone to "shadow" him from the bus to the classroom. They informed me that, for safety reasons, they'd be doing this for at least a month. It only lasted a few days, because he navigated his way so independently. He no longer requires a "shadow" and is able to walk from the bus to the classroom each morning. Alright!

He is now riding the bus in the afternoon as well. He walks out with the group, the aides take the other kids to their special ed buses, and he will find his bus in the bus line. If you've been following this blog from day 1, you know about my color coding in the classroom. I put a yellow circle in the window of the bus and he's able to look down the line of buses and know exactly which one is his!

I couldn't be more proud. I've had several teachers comment, "He rides the regular bus?" and "Does he know where he's going?" Yes, he knows exactly where he's going. And he is so proud of that!

The ASD program is so new to this school. They have a "cookie cutter" thought of how things should look (i.e. ALL ASD KIDS ride the Special Ed bus). We're achieving success daily... by riding the big bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment